- 2 cups cauliflowerets
- 3 medium carrots, cut into 2-inch julienned strips
- 1 medium onion, quartered and thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 cup sliced zucchini
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (15 ounces) garbanzo beans or chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- Hot cooked rice, optional
In a large nonstick skillet, saute the cauliflower, carrots and onion in oil for 10 minutes. Add the zucchini, water, cumin, salt, coriander, cinnamon, cayenne and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 5 minutes. Stir in garbanzo beans and tomatoes; simmer 5 minutes longer. Serve over rice if desired.
Time to Prepare: 40 mins total
Nutritional Information: One serving (1 cup stew, calculated without rice) equals 138 calories, 3 g fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 512 mg sodium, 25 g carbohydrate, 6 g fiber, 5 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 vegetable, 1/2 starch, 1/2 fat.
Submitted By: Betsy
Original Source: Taste of Home
I added chicken breast strips at the same time as the cauliflower and it was a good addition. This is a mild stew and could possibly use more spices depending on how you like things flavored. I may add a handful of golden raisins the next time I make it. Very flavorful for a low-cal meal.