- 1 1/2 to 2 lbs lamb meat, cut into 1” cubes
- 1 T cooking oil
- 2 c coarsely chopped onion
- 2 med tomatoes, chopped
- 2 med carrots, cut into 1/2” slices
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 T quick-cooking tapioca
- 1 c beef broth
- 1/4 c dry red wine or water
- 1 t dried Italian seasoning or oregano, crushed
- 1/2 t salt
- 1/4 t pepper
- 2 small zucchini, halved lengthwise and cut into 1/4” slices
- 1 9-oz package frozen artichoke hearts, thawed and quartered
- 3 cups hot cooked couscous (mushroom, if you can find it)
In a large skillet, brown the meat, half at a time in hot oil. Drain off fat. Transfer meat to a 3 1/2 to 5 quart crock pot. Add the onion, tomatoes, carrots and garlic. Sprinkle with tapioca. Combine beef broth, wine or water, Italian seasoning or orageno, sald and pepper. Pour over all.
Cover; cook over low heat 8-10 hours or on high-heat setting for 4-5 hours.
If using low-heat setting, turn to high-heat setting. Stir in the zucchini and artichoke hearts. Cover; cook for 30 minutes more. Serve over couscous.
Submitted By: Betsy
Original Source: New Flavors From Your Crockery Cooker
What I usually do is buy a 4-5 lb piece of boneless leg of lamb, cut it all into 1” cubes and freeze half of it for the next time. The leg is the easiest piece to use because most of the other cuts require a lot of work to trim off all the fat.